Sunday, May 13, 2007

wondrous

where do I begin? sometimes when wonderful things happen, you're left speechless and you're not sure where to begin. there is so much that floods the mind. words, feelings, actions, reactions.

maybe I'll go in chronological order.

In the morning we met dr. lee in the main hall. we gave him hugs. I told brendan that today is a good day. not today is going to be a good day. today is a good day. no expectation, just convicted knowledge.

As the afternoon drew closer I became more fidgety. nervous. of course I was not as nervous as the children were. I wanted so much for them to get gold with honours; top band. Brendan and I went for the mid-afternoon mass which was held in the exhibition hall of sch. we prayed, had communion. before going in I joked that maybe the results hinged on whether we went for mass. we went in.

we went back into the hall and watched some schools perform. brendan helped me pass letters to the kids.

when they came on stage, I was really excited. I saw kristen pop out from the side and said ohmygod it's them. I was nervous because the stupid Safari was like a nail being driven into my skull in the morning when I heard the other bands play. but when I heard my dear acband play, god, I was speechless. ok, no I wasn't. I was bouncing up and down in my seat exclaiming how cool it was. I was left in awe. I was half praying half just gripping my seat throughout the performance. Roman fest was incredible. I was so nervous they might become messy because it was so fast and my heart was racing and I was praying and concentrating on them and sitting on the edge of my seat and leaning forward. but it really was fabulous. acband left an impression on the audience. they really did. I knew they would. they were spectacular.

a few more performances. the judges went to deliberate. during the break I ran down and started rambling to ms leong and dr. lee and ms sng. sometimes when you don't know where to begin, you throw out everything as fast as you can and all at the same time.

after waiting for a painful amount of time, the announcer came out. I was so nervous and twitchy, I asked Sarah to hold my hand. ok, but I was kidding. and after a long list of schools, she finally came to our school.

Anglo-Chinese Junior College. Gold. With Honours.

and even though it wasn't my syf. even if I hadn't really contributed anything, I leaped out of my seat and clapped and cheered. I was so happy to see all of them down there, with enormous smiles on their faces, jumping up and down and exclaiming.

when we went back to school I spent a long time talking to Sarah. she really hoped that wenlong and andy won rock ac, since they worked really hard for it. we got to talking about university. England is so far away, she said. and more than any time before, I felt afraid. not because I'd be alone, but because I'd be so far from this. days like this, amazing people like this; no, not just people like this; my dear acband; you. and it made me start to consider going to Sydney instead. at least in sydney, memories of us would be in the air.

we climbed the old ceremonial stairs and found wenlong outside the hall. and shibin came along and delivered the most amazing piece of news. top band. weiting was walking past at that moment. I looked at her, she looked at me. we both started screaming.

I called Samuel. I asked if he heard the latest. he said no. I said top band. he shouted it to the rest of the room. and I heard screaming, cheering, exclamations. I called brendan. ohmygod, was all he could say. it was surreal. god, it was unbelievable. thank God for such a blessing.

and when the tedious rock ac ended. Sarah was really nervous that wenlong and andy might not win. bingjian got third place because he's a piano genius. some one else got second place. after which followed this weird countdown on the screens and pictures of all the participants flashing. the flashing slowed down. it came to wenlong and andy's picture and I was afraid it would change suddenly. it stayed on screen. and all of us, we jumped out of our seats and cheered and shouted and applauded.

Friday. May 11, 2007 was one of those amazing days that are like milestones in your life. they'll always stay with you because days like those are wondrous.

I wanted to get my dear friends something, something to celebrate, but what more could they ask for now? reaping the fruits of their labour - gold with honours; top band, nothing in the world could give greater validation and satisfaction. by the end of the day, I was bursting with pride and joy. I'm sure they were as well.

a record of the day from my perspective. it's some what lame and is lacking many details surely, but hey, it can always be improved upon can't it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home