adventures
so much happened in Africa, and I can't be asked to detail everything here right now. the night sky on kilimanjaro was incredible. I saw the milky way. You wouldn't believe the number of stars in the sky! it was like glitter thrown across a dark cloth. looking out, being above the clouds, walking through clouds, and scrambling up rock walls was an incredible experience.
climbing from Machame camp to Shira was a great hike. It was a really sunny day and you could see all the way out to the flat plains. they were a dusty brownish red.
Shira was probably my favourite camp. we were slow, but we walked into camp singing. and it was the only camp we were at that had a porcelain toilet. it wasn't flushing but it had a door with a lock and a hook, and a loo roll holder! small things mean the world when you're out there. they pour water down the toilet every morning to flush it out, and they clean the floor of all the mud as well.
it wasn't just that though, it was the view. Uhuru danced in and out of the clouds at times. the first time I caught sight of it I just yelled 'ohmygod how are we going to get there?!' aside from that, just looking out at the other peaks around us and the sea of clouds at the base of those peaks.
at the summit, I was so exhausted. it was 8 hours straight of climbing. couldn't stop for more than five minutes because we'd freeze. It was so cold and the scree near stella point was the most demotivating thing in the world. you dredge the remnants of strength out of your body to make it up those slopes and half the energy you put into pushing your body up sinks into the the god awful scree. but when the sun rose just as we were leaving Stella, Laura and I burst into tears. During the whole climb up, all the four days, when I was feeling too cold, exhausted, sick from being exposed to the elements, I had always thought of the sunrise at the summit. of how I would call home and say that I had done it. and it was wonderful. it was dark and windy and cold but as we were leaving stella to get to uhuru, Musa pointed to the east and told us to look. it was glowing pink and the sun, it was just rays and rays of gold slowly stretching over the horizon.
This evening martin pointed out that I have done a lot of things that others haven't. I thought he meant climbing kili but he said 'you've fed a giant tortoise.' I'm surprised that I had forgotten that I had. yeah it was awesome! giant tortoises are so cute. I want to eat one some day but I doubt I'd be allowed.
climbing from Machame camp to Shira was a great hike. It was a really sunny day and you could see all the way out to the flat plains. they were a dusty brownish red.
Shira was probably my favourite camp. we were slow, but we walked into camp singing. and it was the only camp we were at that had a porcelain toilet. it wasn't flushing but it had a door with a lock and a hook, and a loo roll holder! small things mean the world when you're out there. they pour water down the toilet every morning to flush it out, and they clean the floor of all the mud as well.
it wasn't just that though, it was the view. Uhuru danced in and out of the clouds at times. the first time I caught sight of it I just yelled 'ohmygod how are we going to get there?!' aside from that, just looking out at the other peaks around us and the sea of clouds at the base of those peaks.
at the summit, I was so exhausted. it was 8 hours straight of climbing. couldn't stop for more than five minutes because we'd freeze. It was so cold and the scree near stella point was the most demotivating thing in the world. you dredge the remnants of strength out of your body to make it up those slopes and half the energy you put into pushing your body up sinks into the the god awful scree. but when the sun rose just as we were leaving Stella, Laura and I burst into tears. During the whole climb up, all the four days, when I was feeling too cold, exhausted, sick from being exposed to the elements, I had always thought of the sunrise at the summit. of how I would call home and say that I had done it. and it was wonderful. it was dark and windy and cold but as we were leaving stella to get to uhuru, Musa pointed to the east and told us to look. it was glowing pink and the sun, it was just rays and rays of gold slowly stretching over the horizon.
This evening martin pointed out that I have done a lot of things that others haven't. I thought he meant climbing kili but he said 'you've fed a giant tortoise.' I'm surprised that I had forgotten that I had. yeah it was awesome! giant tortoises are so cute. I want to eat one some day but I doubt I'd be allowed.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home